The Allergist Episode 7 – Deep Dive into Allergic Rhinitis Guidelines
“Don’t be afraid of using these disease modifying therapies. They’re safe, they’re effective, they will actually let you get away with using less medication.” – Dr. Anne Ellis
Venture into the realm of allergic rhinitis as we welcome Dr. Anne Ellis, co-author of the latest Canadian guidelines for this common condition, to unravel the complexities of this disease and explore the latest treatment protocols.
On this episode:
- Defining Allergic Rhinitis: Dr. Ellis sheds light on what allergic rhinitis really is and the driving force behind the new guidelines.
- Testing for Immunotherapy: Serum specific IgE vs. skin prick testing – which is more effective for identifying the right candidates?
- First-Line Defense: The role of second-generation antihistamines and nasal corticosteroids, and why first-generation antihistamines fall short.
- Combining Forces: The effectiveness of combination therapies and the place of leukotriene receptor antagonists in treatment.
- Immunotherapy in Focus: Why it’s time to consider immunotherapy earlier, including sublingual and subcutaneous options.
- Customized Care: Tailoring treatment to individual allergen profiles and addressing the rare but notable side effect of eosinophilic esophagitis.
- Empowering Patients: Urging those with allergic rhinitis to seek proactive treatment and consider the long-term benefits of immunotherapy.
Dive deep into the world of allergic rhinitis and emerge with a wealth of knowledge that could change your approach to treatment. Don’t miss out on these critical insights. Listen now!
Posted on December 19, 2023.